Sunday, November 13, 2011

A Chosen Generation

Today's Gospel Doctrine lesson for Sunday School was 1&2 Peter and Jude and talked about a chosen generation. Now I don't know about you all, but when I hear that, I think about the youth today. I've always know that they are 0lder than we adults spiritually and there is no doubt that they are heads and tails more knowledgeable in the Gospel then I was at their age, and that their testimonies are stronger at a younger age because they are the "Chosen Generation" for these last days.....they have to be stronger, more committed and more sure of their testimony because of the World today and all the temptations that are more "in your face" then they were when I was a teenager.

But the lesson brought out that we are all a chosen generation. And a couple of times while thinking of this lesson, I visualized having posters all over the room of scripture hero's. I told Alan about my idea, and that several times I had the prompting of using these posters I had seen online and at Moon's LDS Book Store in Dallas. And I love Alan because he said, "Well, lets grab Aileen and go then, because you always want to follow inspiration".







So my room was filled with these beautiful posters of Scripture Hero's and I started by asking the question - when you see these posters what does it make you think of? I got awesome answers like - amazing stories from the scriptures, obedience, great faith etc...


Then I asked, When I tell you that the lesson is titled "A Chosen Generation" what do you think of when you see these posters? And I got great answers, like they were all Chosen for a specific purpose in their generation, they are the examples, examples that we hold up to the youth today and say they need to have courage to stand up for truth like these larger than life characters in the scriptures, etc...


I then quoted Elder Bruce R. McConkie's quote that a chosen generation is “not those living in a particular period or age, but … the house of Israel both anciently, in the meridian of time, and now in these latter-days. … [It includes] faithful members of the Church who have taken upon themselves the name of Christ and been adopted into his family” (Doctrinal New Testament Commentary, 3 vols. [1966–73], 3:294).


Then I talked about how we are a chosen generation and then throughout the lesson referred to the posters of the hero's. I think it really set an amazing tone to the start of the lesson that continued all the way to the end.


I wish I could have gotten the whole room in one picture so you could really get the feel, but even though it had to be broken up into 3 pictures. I think you get the idea. I am always grateful for the blessing of inspiration that the Lord continues to bless me with so that I can fulfill my calling and hopefully help others to feel their Heavenly Father and Savior's unconditional love for them!


I know that I feel it daily! I am a daughter of a King and part of a chosen generation and I have a purpose on the earth today!!

1 comment:

Ramona Zabriskie said...

LOVE THIS! you are amazing.