Saturday, July 31, 2010

Manners, respect, and compassion - where are they?

Sometimes I wonder where manners, respect and compassion have gone....but thankfully they are still around and right here in Ft. Worth, TX, and I have had an awesome week of witnessing them in action!

The 12 and 13 yr old young women from our Church came to our home and serenaded me and presented our family with a warm plate of chocolate chip cookies! But believe it or not what I loved was that they sang two wonderful songs - "I Am a Child of God" and "As I have Loved You". It was on a day that I was so very exhausted and was in my nightgown by 7:00 pm at night. But I gladly opened the door and let the sweet music and spirit of the gift wash over me. I was not as exhausted after that. And was able to go on and complete my "mother duties" that night.


I also witnessed a loving act of compassion on Tuesday night at a meeting for our RS Meeting Committee and it was beautiful to watch and renewed my outlook on a lot of things. I would really love to share this experience but it is too personal but know that it changed me and my feelings.


Last Sunday, I watched as a mother was gathering up her baby and all the paraphernalia that goes along with leaving a meeting, get up to leave, and a man in the room got up and opened her door. Her husband was not in the room to help her and there were many other men in the room, but this man got up, held the door for her and helped her to be able to leave with more ease! And I thought, what a tribute that was to his wife and his parents, his respect for women. Of course this was not the only time I have seen him perform the role of gentleman, but it hit a chord with me this day.


I'm not sure why I was privileged to see these things and that these simple acts would strike me so, but I feel blessed to be reminded that simple things can make such a difference in someones life. That 1 person can make a difference. That Heavenly Father is always watching over us but that more times then not, his help and love comes from others around us who listen to the spirit and act upon it!

2 comments:

Ramona Zabriskie said...

Lois, that is beautiful! I have found thus far in England that most people (at least the dozens I have run into) are so thoughtful - when you ask for a simple direction, they are not satisfied to just point the way -- they go all the way WITH you! Even in stores, cashiers and customers drop everything to help. It is really something! Your essay here has made me determined to be more aware of the thoughtfulness, instead of the rudeness, around me.

Simply Sarah *K* said...

I love this Lois! I'm so glad you shared these experiences!