Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Gospel Doctrine Bingo!

I try to switch things up every now and then in Gospel Doctrine. So I was thinking last week, what hadn't I done in a while. I've had Characters from the Scriptures come to class to share their story, I've had music, I've had a video/DVD, I've had group work, and the thought came to me, I haven't done a game for awhile. I had tried crossword puzzles before, but the thought came to me I hadn't done BINGO yet in Gospel Doctrine. So I planned out my lesson and saw what scriptures we would be reading in class and then put together bingo clues with phrases or words right from the scriptures. Then after several hours of putting this whole thing together and printing out all the cards, I thought, Oh my gosh, this could be a disaster and totally take away from the spirit of the class and most of all, totally NOT NECESSARY! And I freaked out a little bit! But I told Alan, I've spent so much time on this and already printed the card stock, I'm doing it.

All through Sacrament and in my prayers Sunday Morning, I prayed that the game would be a successful way to get the class involved in the scriptures but not detract from the class learning and having the Holy Ghost with us.

I had class members team up so one would have their scriptures open and one would be paying attention to clues as we would come across them while discussing the lesson. I also told them that when they got a Bingo, if they would just quietly raise their card, I would notice, but I would probably not stop right then, we would go over every one's bingo's at the end of the class. I also told them that after the first couple of Bingo's everyone should be going for blackout!

Then I started the class, and it was awesome!!! Everyone was very into looking for and hearing the clues throughout the lesson. It didn't stop everyone from having the great discussions about the scripture verses and/or stories that we always have. And when someone got a Bingo they just quietly got my attention and then we continued on with the lesson.

When it was all done, I gave the winners Key Chains that said "Jesus Is The Light" that I had left over from my Seminary days, which were a hit! I even had someone come up afterwards and ask me for extra Bingo Cards because they wanted to show their spouse etc...

That week we were talking about Stephen, Phillip, and Saul/Paul and one of the Bingo Clues was "why do you kick against the prick" and when we were discussing "what does that mean" Sister Denti said that in relating that statement to her personal life - she thought - how many times has her heart been pricked by the spirit telling her to do something but then she fought against it? Which I thought was an awesome analogy. And when I got home and thought about that comment, I thought - that is exactly what I had done. I had felt inspired to do the Bingo game. But then I second guess myself and 'kicked against the prick' a little, but did end up doing it anyway and it turned out to be an amazing experience!

Lesson learned, Lois Brown, don't 'kick against the prick"!

No comments: