Monday, August 24, 2009

Texas Reception

So.....you know you can't have a wedding without incidents, right? Well, Friday Morning I am headed to the airport to pick up Anne Marie as she is flying in from Utah, and then I was going to just stay about 20 minutes longer and then John and Allison were going to be flying in from Cancun. As I am driving to the airport, I get a call (the first one I've gotten since they left on their Honeymoon, no surprise there) from John and Allison and its John telling me that they missed their flight! So I laugh and say, "yeah, your funny John, your kidding right?" and at that point John says that no he is not kidding. I am kind of still chuckling a little, because a week and a half ago when John had an accident at work and cut his head open and had to get stitches, both he and Allison tried to freak me out by telling me he had a bald spot for pictures on his head where they had had to shave his head for the stitches! So I think they are trying to tease me again and get me all worked up......because right before they left for their honeymoon I told them 2 things....
1. No matter what you can not miss your flight since you are flying in the very day of the Reception.

2. No matter how tired, sunburn, sick from eating the wrong thing you are, you will both be the happiest people ever seen to be in Texas and at your Reception!

At which point, John once again says, "really, I am not kidding", and proceeds to tell me how it wasn't their fault. I think I deserve big points for not totally freaking out....and then I am given the assignment to call his parents and let them know as well as this is costing their cell phone a lot of money! While I was talking to John's mother, she got a call from them, so I guess they decided that maybe they needed to talk to his parents in person too!

So back to my phone call, I ask John, so when is the next flight and he tells me its at 12: 30 but it is full and they are only on standby and no guarantee that they will make that one either.....then the last one is at 5:30 or something arriving around 8:00 pm and same scenario.....at this point I just start praying!!!!

The good news is, they did make in onto the next flight, thanks to John's father, but it was leaving late and they didn't get in until 4:30 then they had to get through Customs, which takes 1/2 hr, then they had to drive from the airport through rush hour traffic and a Cowboy's pregame game traffic jamb to get to the Church so that we can hurriedly fix Allison's hair and get them all dressed and ready to greet their guest! Our Reception started 1/2 hr late, but we did it!!!!!!


the daddy-daughter dance... they both said they couldn't look at each other or they would start crying! I know I loved watching it!

Their first dance


They are just so great together!!! I love them very much!

And the Reception was as perfect as it could be seeing all of our friends, old and new, several from out of town that were a huge surprise and really touched my heart, but all of them so happy for our daughter and wanting to meet her wonderful husband!!!! It was perfect, right out of a dream! Thanks to everyone who came, and everyone who helped to make this night so special!!!!

4 comments:

Cheree said...

Beautiful!!!
Thanks for sharing!

Mother of the Queen said...

Of course all the decorations were beautiful and I'm glad everything worked out. I would have been a basket case I think.

Unknown said...

Yay!! What a beautiful reception!! Good job Mom!!

Cathy said...

Thanks for taking the time to share so much about Allison and John's wedding and receptions. And please keep those lovely photos coming.

We're sorry we missed her TX reception but I was near the end of my 2 week bout with flu (not swine, but equally nasty).