Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Traditional Clay Christmas Eve

We have always for as long as I can remember (and I know it started with my Dad and his family when he was little) had our big Christmas dinner and celebration on Christmas Eve. We all get together to eat a fabulous dinner which everyone helps to provide (Although I would have to say that this year Elizabeth did the most and provided the most - thank you sweetie). After our meal and visiting we go into the front room around the piano and listen to the Christmas story out of the scriptures stopping to sing appropriate Carols and Hymns at the right time. Then we move back to the family room around the Christmas tree where we open gifts from family. Gifts that usually are hand made. Gifts that are from your siblings etc... so that they don't get mixed in with all of Santa's presents the next morning and then maybe get missed that Grandma and Grandpa got you this instead of Santa!!! It is always a fun time. It's when I give the family calendar that I make, this year Elizabeth made us all the cutest scarves. I use to make the Christmas PJ's but now Old Navy usually gets that job!! etc... This year Dad and Barbara gave us all blankets that Dad picked out the pattern for each of us and Barbara embroidered, so as you can see, these are always a little more special gifts. Sometimes it takes a while for our children to realize that Christmas Eve gifts are the most special.....but not always!!!

Oh, and to drag out the agony for the little ones, we have to pick one at a time, youngest to oldest and you cannot pick a present for yourself......















Aunt Tootie trying to protect Art from getting his picture taken as that is not allowed!











Aileen's favorite gift.... Grandma Barb and Grandpa gave to her - the lights flash in the bottom of the cup and she loved that but then was surprised when she went to take a drink and there was no drink in the cup so we hurried and filled it....but she loves this blinking cup!!!







Alan's parents gave us this book which I was so excited about....I almost bought it for ourselves but with Christmas decided I shouldn't. So I was excited when he opened it!



Kansas Jayhawker PJ's I found these in Kansas while at the wedding and knew that Aileen had to have them this year....after all that is where she was born!!!!

No comments: