Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Barbara's birthday dinner, Stake HP Social, and Gospel Doctrine

Friday we went to "Red Robin" to celebrate Barbara's Birthday as well as Lauren's and Kristen's. However, Kristen was sick and couldn't be there so it turned out just to be for Barbara (my other mother) and my cousin Lauren! Now, I will get off track a little here and say, its hard to know what to call Barbara. I think "my father's wife" sounds like I'm not happy about it as well as "Step mom" even though I will say that, as it feels less rude and that is what she is.....but my mother-in-law says that one of her step daughter's introduces her as "my other mother" which I thought was really nice and I know means a lot to Mom Brown! But just now when I typed it I felt a little disloyal to my mother by calling her "my other mother" but I do like that title better than the others!!! And I do believe my mother knows that SHE is my mother and that I will always love her like none other!


The Birthday girl getting a bday kiss!


Dad looks rather pleased with himself!


Alan helping Aileen pick from the menu


The other birthday girl - Lauren Zelenske!


C Sullivan and Taylor Zelenske


I guess I only get one smile - don't ask for two from Taylor!!! But Aunt Beverly looks great!


Debbie (Tootie), Lauren, and Diana's two girls


Lois and Aunt Tootie!


So cute all those little backsides!

So, now back to the dinner! Red Robin really has the yummiest hamburgers and we love their endless fries and special fry sauce. The funniest thing that happened. I thought my batteries were new in my camera, but I guess not, because it wouldn't let me take pictures. Finally I was able to get a few but every time I tried to get Diana and Logan's picture (Cousin and Cousin-in-law) my camera would shut off. I think I tried 7 times and every time it would take pictures of others and then shut off on them....Even if I started with them it shut off and then would take pictures of others....it really was quite funny and they were good sports letting me keep trying!


Finally, I got a picture of Diana and Logan!!!

Saturday was our Stake High Priest Social, and honestly the way the day went that day if it hadn't been Alan's assignment to represent the Bishop there I probably wouldn't have gone, but then I would have really missed something! It was a lot of fun and had food from all different countries and entertainment from all different countries and older missionary couples telling about their experiences on their mission! It was great and Aileen as you can guess loved the food!!!

My favorite story was Bro. & Sis. Milan telling about their mission experience. Bro. Milan didn't want to mess with having to learn another language and not having the complication of not being able to communicate very well so they requested a states mission and lo and behold, they were sent to Boston to work with the Cambodian refugee's! After we stopped laughing, they then shared their wonderful experiences of giving service to these people and sharing the gospel with them and the humanitarian part of their service. They had a lot of baptisms!

It reminded me of Mom Brown saying that she never wanted to go on a mission when she was younger because she knew that she would be put in the mission office and be a secretary and she didn't want to do that. But with the Seniors you get to have a little more say in where they send you. When she got her call it was to the Ohio, Columbus mission in the mission President's office as his secretary! She of course had a marvelous experience and loved every minute of it and even went on another mission when she married Jay! And you guessed it they they worked in the office!!! They did work with the inactive as well.

I too have had this experience of thinking we can tell the Lord what we will and will not do and he not only shows us that we will do what he wants but that we will love it, that he knows best and knows our strengths, where we will grow the most and have the most impact~

In Gospel Doctrine we have been having the best discussions in our classes. So much so I can hardly keep up with and make sure everyone that raises their hands has an opportunity to share. I have been really pleased and blessed. Pres. Stephens from our Stake Presidency has not been able to attend often now with his new calling and when he was in class on Sunday I was excited for him to see what great discussions we have been having as that is what he loves, so I told him as much. You guessed it, it was not loaded with comments and discussions as usual and I asked a lot of questions and had to wait several minutes to get responses.....and wait I did! and it didn't feel as smooth as usual, but that was probably because of my pride and the fact that I made it sound like it was me and not the spirit. Even if that was not what I meant at all, but I have learned I must be careful to remain humble and realize that it is the spirit that teaches not me (even though I promise I know that!!!) I also think it had something to do with the fact that the people who love to have discussions where not in class this week!

I did really like my teaching object at the end though. And I pray that it made sense when I presented it. We have this round piece of polished marble that Aileen bought for Alan one year for Christmas. It sits on display in our china cabinet. And over the years Alan and I have talked about what an interesting thing it was for Aileen to pick of all the things that she could have picked. And as we would talk about it and what makes the marble ball beautiful we would comment on how it is all the imperfections and flaws, the discoloration etc... that makes it beautiful. And that it is the same with us, it is our imperfections that make us beautiful. In the lesson Elder Bruce R. McConkie stated that "just being baptised does not mean we are 'Born Again'.... that it is a process" and we talked about the process of repentance, change of heart, keeping commandments and covenants, and enduring to the end..... and that our imperfections after we have repented, had a change of heart, keep the commandments, drink from living water, walk in light instead of darkness, endure to the end -- then when we are all polished and our rough edges made smooth and working on becoming perfect it will be our imperfections that make us beautiful!

No comments: