Monday, December 9, 2013

4 day ice storm!!!!

Wowzer what a ice storm we have had!  Now if you live somewhere like Utah and Idaho, where snow and ice are an every day occurrence in the wintertime life goes on like normal pretty much, but if you live in the south, like say Texas, its a very big deal and every thing shuts down!!  They just don't have the equipment to clear the roads, nor do Texans who have never lived anywhere else know how to drive in bad weather!  They are really what makes it so dangerous!!  Texas has been closed for 3 days and opening late on the 4th!!  It's kind of been a fun time, but also a time of being shut in.....so its gotten old!!  I'm ready to get back to work!  But more importantly to just get OUT!!!!

Thursday night when the sleet rain was starting Alan went to the Grocery store for us and laughed at what a zoo it was and how he got the last 2 loafs of bread!!  Then we bundled down for the night and woke up to snow, and ice!  And the snow was such great ice that even if you stood on it you did not fall through, you stayed right on top....you literally could ice skate in the stuff...and a friend of ours did, in the school parking lot that was definitely iced over!!

Luckily my Doctor's office had planned for being closed Friday, so I knew we were off, but Alan didn't know for sure until the morning!  Of course all the schools closed, so that meant John was off too!  We checked on everyone (family wise) and only George was without power, but he lives in Plano, so coming here would have been treacherous, luckily he had a friend he and Tytan could stay with until their power came back on!

We were surprised that in the afternoon John and Allison ventured out to come over!!  Of course, they are experts of driving in snow and ice as is Alan so, I guess we shouldn't have been surprised.  But we were thrilled they came.  We played cards and played with Charlotte then decided to go to "The Olive Garden" for dinner!  It was nice that they were open and nice that it wasn't very crowded, since I guess we were one of the few crazies that ventured out!!  It was also fun to give Charlotte her new snow boots I had picked up at the Disney Store while buying her Christmas PJ's!!  Good planning Grandma! 



I will say by the time we got back home I was glad we were home and that we weren't going out anytime soon again!

Saturday, I was able to finish the Christmas sock I was making for one of the ladies in our Ward that bid on my service at the RS Service auction!  I haven't been able to get it to her, but she has seen the picture and is happy with how it turned out!!


Sunday they cancelled Church as did most all congregations of all religions here in Dallas, Fort Worth, Plano area and I will say Saturday and Sunday were more dangerous ice-wise, at least in the DFW area.  My sister Elizabeth said Rowlett didn't get the storm as bad so they did have Church on Sunday.

I've finished 2 books, a Christmas Sock, I finished addressing Christmas Cards, although I haven't been able to mail them yet!!!  I've baked 2 batches of cookies (Oatmeal raisin and Chocolate chip), loads and loads of laundry, and decorated my house for Christmas!!  I will say it has been a productive 4 days.....getting everything done that has been worrying me....like catching up my blog!  Once I get this done and my typing for work, I will have accomplished everything I wanted to do while stuck at home!!  Yay Me!!

It has also reminded me how much I enjoyed being a stay at home mom!!  That was a special time (12 yrs) a time I will always be grateful for!!

Enjoy the pictures of my house decorated for Christmas!!









 





 

No comments: