Sunday, July 12, 2009

Love for our fellow man in Primary!



I teach the 9 yr old Valiant Class in Primary. This is an extremely wonderful age in that they still love to answer questions and listen to stories.....but it is also an age where they are starting to learn sarcasm and maybe making fun of someone. So I always try very hard to teach that Primary is our "safe place" where we all love each other and help each other and no one needs to be fearful of someone making fun of another. We almost always have success with this, however every once and a while someone will make a comment that could be thought of as unkind to which I always say something like, "I think you meant to say....." and then turn it into a kind statement or I say something very positive about the person etc... anyway the point of this story and I am getting to it I promise, is that the past few months I have seen great love in my class for each other as class mates. We have one young person that cannot read. I'm not sure how this has happened, and I have always tried to be by them and help them when this person has been called upon to read something in sharing time, or in our class so that they would not be embarrassed. And when it was our classes presentation for sharing time I had this person tell a story in their own words so that they didn't have to read a quote etc.... And at one time I overheard a older boy from a much older class make fun of this person saying "They are 9 yrs old and can't even read" to which I was horrified that he would say that out loud and that it might be overheard. But the miracle of this situation is that every student who sits by this person be it boy or girl, when this student is called upon to read a scripture etc....they lean over and watch and help them when they stumble on a word......I do not even have to worry any more that this person might become embarrassed. Today it was Eva, several weeks ago it was Adam, and before that it was Tanner etc..... Today when it happened I felt such joy that our primary class is a safe place for these children, and that they know they are loved by me and by each other! I'm so grateful for this opportunity that I get to see such strength and leadership by some that others might consider too young!


2 comments:

Simply Sarah *K* said...

You are a gem!! Really, you are! I love it when teachers enjoy their calling like you do...who make the effort to help and teach these children and don't just talk at them. We have a couple of trouble makers in that age group that really overcome their teacher. I love how you are helping your kids find their "safe place"...I'm going to have to pass that along!! :)

Amber Joy said...

You are such a wonderful teaching. We are so blessed to have you in our primary. I have noticed the kindness of your class and how they help each other out. They are great kids, but I am sure you help them to become even better, and it is obvious how much the love and respect you. I can't imagine anyone not feeling loved with you around :) Thank you for all you do.