Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Danny Ainge and many more things....


Alan cannot believe (nor can I for that matter) that I have not blog about his most prized gift at Thanksgiving time! While Allison and John were here for Thanks-giving they brought a surprise gift for Dad (Alan). At one of the BYU Basketball games John was walking in the hall and ran into Danny Ainge, who just happens to be Alan's favorite Basketball player of all time. John asked Danny if he would sign his shirt....and he did! John called and talked to Alan about meeting him and getting his autograph and Alan was stoked and couldn't believe that John had had that experience. So the surprise is they presented Alan with the shirt with Danny Ainge's autograph and Alan is having me frame it. But before I take it to be framed I thought I would try to take up close and personal pictures. Then after framed, (for Valentines Day, hopefully) maybe do a after picture. Pretty neat experience for John and really amazing and very loving that he would give it to "Dad"!


Sunday I gave a talk in Sacrament meeting and usually I am all game for that, love to speak. Love to have that personal time spent in meditation with my Savior and Heavenly Father. I struggled a little with this talk and it felt different from my normal comfortable way of giving a talk. But I did feel growth and did feel that it went well and that it was the message that was to be presented. The neatest thing to me about my talk on Sunday was that I did not know who the other Adult speaker was and then when the meeting started found out I was speaking with my father! And he is such an amazing man that I love so very much and an incredible speaker that I knew he would make up for any of my lack! But it was exciting to speak together in Sacrament, I told Dad it was like walking into the temple endowment room and finding out he was the leader of that session or that he was the worker on the other side of the veil (which both has happened by the way and was so incredibly special).

Then for Gospel Doctrine Class, it was a first, no visual aids at all, just an awesome discussion with many people involved. It was awesome! As a teacher you always try to change things up and grab their attention in different ways..... and since I am all about visual helps what some people call "fluff" it was an attention getter to have none! It was what I did to simplify my life this week as I had to speak in Sacrament and give a Gospel Doctrine lesson!

Friday night, Alan went with the Boy Scouts Camping. Those of you who live in Texas, know that it was terribly terribly cold. But Alan came home happy as a clam (where did that expression come from?) and said he had forgotten how much fun it is to be with those boys. I thought to myself after all those years as Scoutmaster, Asst. Scoutmaster, etc. etc. how could he have forgotten. I think if you are a Scouter it is just in your blood! I'm glad he had fun and I'm glad Aileen and I were snuggled up nice and warm in a warm house and bed!

No comments: