Thursday, April 28, 2011

Driving home from Utah....

Before I post the pictures and fun stories about my visit with my children in Utah. I have to post a scary experience I had driving just for personal history sake!

MaryAnn Stephens and I drove straight through both ways trying to make the most of what little time we would have while out in Utah. MaryAnn was picking up Jessica from BYU and bringing her back home and needed another driver to make the trip. So of course since I have 3 kids in Utah and 2 at BYU, I'm always game for going out, and the bonus is its always fun when you are going with such a good friend.

Funny thing is, I drive great at night, but have trouble staying awake during the day, and MaryAnn drives better during the day and has trouble staying awake at night so we are the perfect team drivers.

On the way back from Provo, MaryAnn had a Uncle who had passed away and the funeral was in Colorado Springs, which proved to be just too close for MaryAnn not to be able to go be apart of, we drove through the night to get to Colorado springs in the morning, just in time to go to the service.

While driving during the night at about Vail, Colorado, it started snowing and not just a little snowing but slippery, lots of snowing, following a snow plow kind of snowing.

Then somewhere in New Mexico, a big coyote ran out in front of the car and then changed its mind and turned back around, which was totally in front of our tires and car....but MaryAnn was quick and we got around it. We both saw lots of animals run out in front of us but nothing that scary......until....

I was 15 minutes from home driving down 1-35 towards Altamesa exit at 5:00 am in the morning. Still dark outside.....when all of a sudden in my lane my headlights come upon this large black bump in the middle of the road, so I swerve to get around it and right in front of my headlights when I swerve into the next lane is a woman walking across all those lanes of traffic and I mean just walking as if you do it every day and in no hurry, so I swerve to miss her as she bends down to pick up the dead dog in the middle of the road.....but really, who does that!!! I really almost hit someone!

Because of swerving, MaryAnn woke up to see the woman on the ground and thought she was trying to commit suicide and was really startled by what she saw. But I told her it wasn't that, although she almost did get run over, she was picking up a dead dog off the highway!

Heavenly Father really answered our prayers for safety and protection and to be warned of any danger on this trip!

So glad to be home!!!

One fun thing that I loved on the way home was in Texas, between Amarillo and Fort Worth, there are a lot of small towns you drive through. And even though I don't remember which town it was - I loved when I drove through the town, all quiet and driving with everyone sleeping, and one of the banks had one of the lighted signs outside it that does advertising etc... but this morning it just kept flashing "He is Risen" over and over! Loved it!

No comments: