Monday, June 6, 2011

Giggles and dominos......



Sunday Aileen decided that right when Lori Wagley started to give her lesson in Relief Society that she would start giggling, which then turned into outright laughter and a little screaming.....so of course I picked up all my bags and took her to the lobby. Then she just started laughing, laughing in the lobby and disrupting everyone even with doors closed, laughing all the way to the car, all the ride home, laughing all the way into the house, and laughing all the way to my bedroom where we laid on my bed and turned on BYU TV!!! She continued to laugh all the rest of the day. Alan came home and saw that she was laughing and so then he started laughing too! So we all giggled and laughed all Sunday afternoon!! Not a bad way to spend the day.....but who knows why she got so tickled???? There is no way of knowing but it is contagious and even though I wanted to be frustrated with her because of having to leave church.....all I could do was laugh with her!!!


For my Gospel Doctrine lesson on Sunday, the lesson was on the signs of the 2nd coming. So I did a word collage on the main chalk board with words like speculation, rumors, hearsay, prophecy, prepare, signs etc.... some good and some not good for the subject of the lesson. Then on the table in front of that chalkboard I lined up my domino's standing up in a snake like line.

When class first started I told them I was going to make a prediction about the weather today.....I told them that in 2 hrs it was going to snow (this was out of the lesson manual) they all just smiled at me....so I asked them if they believed that or not and why and I got answers like because its 100 degrees outside, because its Texas, etc... Then this was my part added to what the lesson suggested.....

So what about the on May 21, 2011 the world was suppose to end, there was a billboard on I-35 proclaiming that.....or about 20 yrs ago in Idaho there was a man that said the Lord had told him when the 2nd coming was and that we all needed to stock up on ammunition and firearms...

What words in my word collage applies to these types of stories..... so then as they said them I crossed out the words: rumors, hearsay, speculation, predictions and left the good words alone like signs, prophecy, prepare, etc...

I said today's lesson is a lesson that is easy to get side tracked and to talk about things we have heard, rumors etc... and do you know what happens to our lesson when we do that????

I then hit the 1st domino and they all snaked and fell down..... I said it runs away from us, and that we don't learn what the prophet, General Authorities and the Lord have prepared for us to learn and the spirit leaves the room.... So today as we talk about the signs of the 2nd Coming ask yourselves these two questions before adding to the lesson - "Where did I learn this?" and "Where can I read this?"

Anyway it was an affective way to open this lesson and as people commented they would say where in the scriptures they had found their answer or comment and it was very cool!!! And of course all my comments and points came from the scriptures, the lesson manual or quotes from General Authorities!

2 comments:

Mona said...

Lois, you are SUCH a good teacher! And a great giggler as well!

We hadn't been in our Florida ward for years when we made a visit last winter. Due to Ashley spilling milk all over me at breakfast, we had to regroup and got there just after the sacrament. No one knew we were coming and we were so worried about causing a scene, so we slipped in the back door, sat on the back row and breathed a sigh of relief when only the bishop raised his eyebrows. The it happened: Ashley squealed - she knew where she was and couldn't help her delight coming out. Everyone said afterward that they heard that squeal and thought joyfully and instantly: ASHLEY IS HERE!!!!

Lois Brown said...

Awe Ramona, you are too kind!!! And I love and can picture the scene you tell about going to visit your Ward in Florida!!! Love it!