Monday, September 14, 2009

After......

After it is all over I think is the hardest. While you are having to make decisions and get things done and ready, you are sad and you have moments of breakdowns, but the true sadness doesn't come until after you have taken the last person to the airport and everyone has gone home.

After taking my children and my aunt and uncles to the airport Sunday morning I drove by the cemetery on the way home and swung in and took a look. She would love all the flowers. We had to take a lot of them with us if they were plants or in baskets so we used them for the luncheon and then left them for Sunday services the next day! We have many at our house as well. But she loved flowers and I know it made her happy to have them all around her and us!

The part of the cemetery that she is buried in is called "The Garden of Gethsemane" and has a statue of the Savior praying in the background, which has always been my father's favorite picture or figurine of the Savior. So it is fitting. I found out later that not only did I drive by and look, so did Elizabeth and Ruth, and Dad, each of us without the other knowing that we had gone. I am so glad we buried her close by, it will be nice to go and see her often.

After the funeral services they have the family follow the casket out and then they tell us all to go and get in our cars and line up.....so that is what everyone did, but my Dad went back in and thanked all those who came.....and I feel horrible that I didn't know that was what he was doing....I would have gone back in too, because I have no idea who was there. Isn't that horrible not to know who was there? Thank heavens that people have made comments or posted on my facebook, so that I know who was there. I was just trying to get through the day and really to be done. I really wanted to be done. My dear friends who came, Thank you! Thank you! Please forgive that I didn't get to see you and thank you in person.

I loved that my children were here! That was probably the thing that kept me going....even after it was over, we still needed to be with our children and it kept Alan and I going. It wasn't until after my 3rd trip to the airport on Sunday that I laid down and slept! I needed to sleep so badly.

Now today I have to go about normal business and work and act as if everything is back to normal. It will never get back to normal.....it will just become a different normal. I miss my mother. I hope that I will live the rest of my life in a way that will make her proud so that I will get to see and be with her again!!!

5 comments:

Lil Gma said...

Oh my! I can't imagine not being able to pick up the phone and hear my mother.s voice and her encouraging words when I get discouraged. I know that it is a part of life but still. Keep going!

Jenny said...

Lois, I'm confident you're mom is proud of you every single day. And don't feel bad for one second about not greeting everyone--they were there to support and stand behind you, your gale force wind.

Anonymous said...

i read your blog last week while i was at my mothers house and ran in to her room to tell her the news cause i was so shocked that this had happened. and she said she already knew that the bishop told them sunday that she wasn't going to make it. and i felt awful that i couldn't make it to the funeral to support you cause you have supported me in a lot of things. sister brown, i hope you have the strength to keep going like she did, cause i know she is so proud of the woman you are today! you are an amazing lady!

lalalaleesa said...

I'm sure many would agree with you, that it is after everyone has gone, and the flood of decisions, and visitors and "busy-ness" are over, that is when the day-to-day difficulty sets in. Especially when it is someone who was so woven into your every day, as your Mother was. Be assured, she is missing you, too - regardless of how happy she may be where she is - she is missing you, too.

Brigham said...

I was sorry to hear that your mom passed away. I hope the days don't pass too slowly. It has to be hard. Thanks for the posts and for the kind comments on my blog.
Shayla