Sunday, September 13, 2009

Saturday was a beautiful day!

Yes, it rained, and not only did it rain, but between Friday and Saturday at times it poured! But it was a beautiful day!

All of my children were there. All of my siblings were there. And almost all of my brother's and Sister's- in-laws were there! All but one of my nieces and nephews were there! It was a beautiful day! Today was the funeral of my mother!

The viewing was Friday night and despite the horrible rain storm many people came out to be with us! My father kept saying that he had a feeling all the rain was my mother reminding him he needed to water her flowers!

Everyone in the family had their assignments to make the viewing and funeral a perfect tribute to Mom. Jill did the slide show...which we all loved so much! Ruth wrote the obituary. Kim drew the beautiful picture that was the theme of our tribute to mom. Elizabeth typed up the program and played the piano for the grandchildren's special musical number and then had to practice and perform a piece with me. I played the violin in honor of mother. George paid tribute to Mother at the funeral services as the representative of her children, and came up with the idea that all the pall bearers wear blue ties as that was Mom's favorite color. It was also the song that was special to George and Mom that was the music for the slide show! And the grandchildren sang! President Reed and President Besselievre gave beautiful talks as did Elaine Davis. The beautiful music by Michelle Smith, whom Mom loved dearly and Lisa Dansie who has always been important to our family was perfect and I believe Mom would have been pleased. George did such an amazing job paying tribute to Mom, she was so proud I am sure!!!! And I believe probably having her grandchildren sing would have been her favorite part, except for Dad's eulogy, she always loved Dad's words and stories especially when he was talking about them and falling in love! Edward dedicated the grave and Alan gave the family prayer!

It is done in this life now, for my mother, she is buried......but not finished by a long shot. It was so wonderful for my Dad that a lot of his siblings and their spouses were here with him today, I know he appreciated their love and support, as did I!

The luncheon by the RS sisters in our Ward was fabulous and I now know why that is so important. I would not have eaten today if not for that lunch....as when it got to this point of the day I was emotionally and physically exhausted! My RS President and dear friend was by my side through this whole experience if not literally, then spiritually, but always where I needed her to be. I will always be grateful for that. And my sisters in the gospel were all so helpful and loving and quick to give a hug and food or both when a hug was needed! And 2 very dear friends came all the way from Kansas just for me!

It was a beautiful day and I know my mother was pleased! Love you Mom!

1 comment:

Sharla said...

Lois,

The service was so lovely! The musical numbers were a special addition and I so appreciated your Dad's comments. I learned a lot about your Mom yesterday and what an amazing woman she is. Your violin playing was so beautiful... I'm not sure I've ever heard you play! So lovely! I tried to find you after the service but didn't see you anywhere. Just wanted to give you a big hug and say "I love you!" You're awesome!