Saturday, January 30, 2010

Mini Journals.....

I follow several blogs and one of my blog friends found a website that she told us all about a while ago where they had what they called Mini Journals. She gave us the link to the website and told us to go and look at them and see that they were journals that asked 5 simple questions every day that you could answer quickly. They are meant to carry in your purse or keep by your night stand so that when you have just a few minutes like waiting to pick up your kids from school etc....you can tell about your day in little snippets! I really liked this idea and agreed with my friend when she said that she would like to make her own so she could tailor the questions to make them personal. Then she asked everyone for ideas of what questions to put in her mini journal.

Well, with my calling in RS as the 2nd Counselor we are always trying to come up with fun activities and classes to help the Sisters in our Ward become closer to the Savior and to try to focus on some of the principles that were taught at the last General Conference. So in trying to focus on Family History we thought a class on journals would be good....but how to make it new and fresh......then I remembered my blog friend and the mini journals. So I emailed her and asked her if she had ever made them and if so.....how, and asked for the link to her post again that gave all the questions that everyone suggested.

For 2010 as a Relief Society Presidency we have chosen our Theme to be "Diligently Seeking the Spirit". So many of the conference talks this last General Conference were about recognizing and seeking the spirit......and along with that then writing it down. And Pres. Eyring gave a whole talk not this last Conference but last April's about the importance of remembering and that for our family we needed to write down and share with them times that we have felt the Lords great blessings he pours upon us.

So with that, I have made a few samples to show the sisters for our February 16th RS Meeting about journals and journal making.



Here are the 20 different questions I put in the journal that rotate every 4 days:

I felt the the spirit today when I
I forgot myself today when I
My heart felt happiness today when
I told my family I loved them today when
The Lord Blessed me today when

I exercised faith today when I
I felt my Saviors love today when
I shared my testimony today when I
I magnified my calling when I
I connected with my family when

I recognized an answer to prayer when
I felt good about myself when I
I gave service today when I
I became more self reliant today when
I listened to the spirit when I

I moved forward in Faith when I
I chose the better part when I
I feel closer to my Savior because I
I showed gratitude to my Heavenly Father when I
I kept my Baptismal/Temple Covenants today when I

My Homemaking Leader, whom I adore, and is really an amazing woman suggested that these journals might also be something you would send to Grandparents, parents, aunts etc.... as gifts to fill out so that you can learn more about them as well as that your children can get to know them in a way that they might not otherwise.

I also think that it would be a good way for someone like me to make sure to write down a quick note about an experience that I do not want to forget..... so that I could then refer back to it to blog and make a more detailed account of the experience as I do intend to turn my blog into a book as a continuation of my personal history.

Anyway, I'm very excited for the RS Meeting to come and I really hope that people will sign up.

4 comments:

Simply Sarah *K* said...

Lois!! You are my hero!!! I'm sooo happy you were able to make them :)! I would totally sign up if I was in your ward!

You have inspired me to put some together!! I have meant to, it just got put on the backburner.

Lois Brown said...

Your my hero Sarah with all that you do and make......so it was nice of you to let me have this one thing! lol!

Cathy said...

Although no longer a 3rd ward member, I was ready to sign up and attend your RS February 16th ...
but that's the night I teach Institute in my ward, so I can't come. Sigh. Happy to do what I do, but it would have been nice to be there too.

Lois Brown said...

Thank you cathy!!! For this and for your comment on the missionary letter! I miss you so! Lois