Sunday, January 31, 2010

Letter from a missionary...and a testimony borne

I taught early morning seminary for 7 or 8 years, I can't remember anymore how many for sure....but lets just say several!!!! I can guarantee that sometimes I wondered if my students were getting it, paying attention, or just sleeping lol! But yesterday I got a letter from one of my former seminary students on a mission. I won't tell all the letter.....but I would like to share a portion of it that meant a great deal to me. Sometimes the paydays come much later..........but are still just as sweet.

"When I was at the MTC, I was really studying hard. I would have been a fool to have not tried to take advantage of the ridiculously strong spirit there by not feasting on the words of Christ, trying to learn and learn and learn. I was studying awesome missionaries in the Book of Mormon, trying to really dive deeply into chapters, finding as many possible symbols and parallels and applications for my own life (particularly as a missionary). Then one day, another connection in one verse suddenly came to mind. I remembered the day in seminary when we talked about the parable of the nobleman and the olive trees in D&C 101, and I cross-referenced these verses, adding another cool meaning to my favorite chapter that day. then five minutes later, it happened again! Itching in the back of my brain was another connection that I just barely couldn't grasp. Then I remembered the powerful testimony you bore at the beginning of that same year in seminary about the arm of the Lord being revealed in your life. Bonus. D&C 1:14, another frankly awesome connection. Oh, I was having so much fun that day."

"So what I had in mind by all this is wanting to let you know that all you did/do for me and my family really is so appreciated. This is just one example of how your sacrifice of getting up so early to study and plan impacted my life enough to help me be a better missionary now and therefore more able to help people come unto Christ."

So cute that he emphasized so and just one.

It was a beautiful letter and moment as I read it. I tell myself that I really don't need letters and things like this to know that I was a good seminary teacher and that I did make a difference and I have had many thoughtful students say/write things to me off and on throughout my time of teaching and after......but it has been several years now since I was a seminary teacher and very cool to get this letter while this young man is in Canada serving a mission right now!

I would like to bear my testimony:

I am so grateful for the Gospel in my life, for the difference it has made in my life and in my families life. I know this is the only true church on the earth today. I know that we have a living Prophet Tomas S. Monson, who leads and directs this Church, by revelation and inspiration from the Lord. I know that my Savior Lives and that he will come again to this earth in great glory. And that through him my sins can be forgiven and that I can once again return to live with my Heavenly Father. I know the Book of Mormon is true and is the word of God. That it is indeed another testament of Jesus Christ. I know that Joseph Smith was/is a prophet of God. That God the Father and his son Jesus Christ did appear to him because he prayed in great faith. That he was the Prophet foreordained to bring the Gospel of Jesus Christ back to the earth in this dispensation. I know that prayers are answered. I know that through the Priesthood and sacred Temple covenants that families can be together forever. And I would be remiss if I did not thank my Heavenly Father for the callings he has given me throughout my adult life that have strengthened my testimony and made me a better person and more knowledgeable of the scriptures and the Gospel of Jesus Christ.

I say these things in the name of Jesus Christ, amen.

2 comments:

Cathy said...

Missionary letters from former seminary students are some of the "tender mercies of the Lord" that Elder Bednar reminded us about.

Mona said...

Oh Lois! How beautiful!!!! You remind me of my 4 years as a Seminary teacher and another several as Stake Coordinator. Somewhere in there, it finally sunk in that I should never expect acknowledgment of my sacrifices or effort (super-human for early morning teachers), but that the work was for Jesus, and He was the only one I hoped to please. When I did receive appreciation after that (usually from students after they had become adults), it was only a bonus! And what a bonus! We should all reflect on the teachers of our youth and express our gratitude -- in pen or in person if possible.