Wednesday, March 3, 2010

A New Mini Journal adaptation

In February I had a RS Mini group where we made Mini Journals that we personalized with a few questions everyday that help us to recognize the spirit, realize blessings and answers to prayers, and bear our testimonies.

One of my dear friends who has moved out of our Ward saw my post and asked if I could send her one for her to use with her Adult Religion Class that she teaches on Tuesday nights in Burleson. When I was a Seminary Teacher here in Fort Worth, she was my Supervisor and is really an amazing person and friend. She helped me many times in teaching Seminary every day with great lesson ideas and handouts. So its very nice that I could help her now.

Here is what she told me about her use of the Mini Journal in her Institute Class:

Mini journals adapted‏

The Institute (adult religion class is the official CES name) lesson's title:
Each of Us Can Help Build the Kingdom of God on Earth.


We discussed -
helping strengthen the Church
staying active in the Church
gathering in local stakes
blessings of service - AND THAT'S WHERE I adapted your mini journal idea.


Instead of individual mini journals, I gave each student the list of 20 options. The intro was:
"Include one (or more) of the following journal entries as happy reminders of the blessings that come when we serve in the kingdom of God. Whatever we choose will be a bonus when we go back later and re-read that date's journal entry."


Going around the class, students took turns reading the list aloud.

They were enthused about the idea and thanked me for the list. One man said, "Good! Now I can write about something besides the weather!"

I'll send you a copy of the handout so you can see what it looked like.

Thanks again for sharing. You're an inspiration to me!
Cathy


This is what this life is all about, especially in the Gospel......sharing ideas and talents, and helping one another. You gotta love it! Oh, and Cathy, I am very humbled by your note and would like to say for all the years that I taught Seminary.....you were and still are an inspiration to me!

3 comments:

Cathy said...

Uh oh, I didn't know I was going public!

Lois Brown said...

I hope that was o.k.?????

Lois Brown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.