Sunday, May 15, 2011

The Prodigal Son comes to Gospel Doctrine.....

Today we had a special visitor come to my Gospel Doctrine class! The prodigal son, after he came home and was welcomed with open arms by his father, came to our class and told his story! This young man did an excellent job sharing his experience with us and teaching the importance of this story. Add to that we also talked about rescuing the one from the ninety and nine and how we would search for the lost coin. Then we ended with the Savior healing the 10 lepers and only one returns to thank and honor him who healed him. That 9 nine were healed physically but only one was made WHOLE!!! it was a great lesson with many insights and discussions from myself and the class! I MUST thank the Elders Quorum President for dressing up and playing the part!!! He did an amazing job and I felt the emotion of what he was sharing with us so I am sure the rest of the class did as well!

I also loved his answer to me when I asked him 2 weeks ago to do this. He said that this would totally be outside of his comfort zone and something he had never done before. So I asked if I should ask someone else even though I was sure he would do a great job. And his answer was, "I said that I would sustain you in your calling, so I need to be willing to back that up!" I never have felt so sustained and supported in my calling as Gospel Doctrine teacher as in that moment. Thank you Pres. Updike! Special thanks to Shelby Denti, for providing the costume and helping him get dressed up to play the part!

In sacrament meeting today, in celebration of the Aaronic Priesthood restoration they had a Priesthood choir sing. Alan who has always been told, not by me, but by others, that's o.k. Alan you don't need to sing in the choir...... sang! And I was so thrilled that he was able to have such an awesome experience being in a group of men singing about the Priesthood and it sounded so amazing! It had to be a very spiritual experience for those who participated!! When I asked Alan he said that it really had been and I can tell that he was pleased that it sounded so great! (Don't worry the picture was taken at a rehearsal, not during Sacrament meeting!!)

No comments: