Sunday, November 4, 2012

Blessings during trials.....

Last Sunday, I was asked by the "Teaching for Our Times" teacher in Relief Society to give some examples of times in our lives when we have gone through trials with Aileen or other trials, that we had been able to see the blessings, even during the trial.  This was not something that I was going to post, because I always feel like maybe its bragging and I truly want to be humble with this.  But I also want to remember with gratitude the blessings.  And after today's Gospel Doctrine lesson (3Nephi 22-16) that I taught where it talks about Nephi being commanded to keep a record for a nation, but that we have also been commanded to keep a record for our future generations and then using this quote -  

Orson Pratt taught:
How many thousands have been miraculously healed in this Church and yet no one has recorded the circumstances. Is this right? Should the miraculous manifestations of the power of God be forgotten and pass into oblivion? Should the knowledge of these things slumber in the hearts of those who witnessed them, and extend no further than their verbal reports will carry them? . . . We should keep a record because Jesus commanded it. We should keep a record because the same will benefit us and the generations of our children after us. We should keep a journal because it will furnish many important items for the general history of the Church which would otherwise be lost (Millennial Star: 11:153).
 
I really can not let this opportunity pass me by and not share my testimony with my children, grandchildren, great grandchildren.  And this is what I print my personal history from.....so I will blog!
 
Being grateful for blessings during a trial:
 
Let me first state that I would never call Aileen a trial.   Many trials in raising her have come and gone.  But she is perfect in every way!
 
When we realized that Aileen was not going to be “normal” but a special needs child, we grieved, of course we did, this is normal.  And at first when people would say, “I don’t know how you do it” or “I could never do it” I would kind of blow them off thinking that of course they would do it if they were faced with it.  But later I realized that not all parents/mothers “do it” (take care of these precious children).  So the first blessing in the middle of a trial was that I could truly pray and thank my Heavenly Father that he would give her to us.  To a family that would take care of her and giver her every opportunity to have as normal a life here on earth as possible.  Being able to thank Heavenly Father was the first step in healing.
 
Another realized blessing during all the turmoil of realizing what that meant for us as parents is that Heavenly Father had, had us move to that exact City that had the best autism program in the country for pre-schoolers and that they had just decided they wanted to except 2 yr olds to see if it made any difference starting children younger in their program!  It was at CBTU (Children’s Behavior Therapy Unit) that she stopped only eating baby food; that she learned to crawl and then finally walk for the first time when she was 3, she learned sign language (so did we) etc… she has never been in a school or area that benefited her more.
 
We realized that Aileen was going to be with us for the rest of our lives and the work entailed that goes along with that and because of my having such early births we decided maybe we were done and should do something more permanent about it because we definitely had our hands full…..but then happy surprise we were expecting Allison, and can I tell you Allison brought sunshine and joy back into our lives as a family.  We were so grateful for all the little blessing that went along with her development being normal, her looking at us when we called her name – we called the whole family the day she did that, little blessings that are really huge blessings.  Allison finished the healing process.  And Aileen made us realized how blessed we were to have Anne Marie our 1st child who had been such an easy baby and did all the right things as a toddler, never any trouble, she was almost a child that was an adult.  My mother told me once that she thought Aileen made me a better mother – because I praised the positive, instead of focusing on the negative which we learned at parenting classes in how to work with Aileen….it carried through in our dealing with our other two children as well.
 
Another time that Heavenly Father made circumstances so that we were living where we were supposed to be was our move to Texas, and I’m not going to lie, our life had fallen apart financially after 9/11 we had lost everything, and that was why we were moving to Texas to live with my parents…..How embarrassing is that!!  But when Aileen turned 18 and we had to go to court and be made her legal guardians, because of Aileen’s estate, which was nothing, we did not have to pay, where in Georgia where we had lived before it was going to cost us thousands of dollars.  Heavenly Father has blessed us continually throughout Aileen’s life.
 
There are so many more experiences, but these are the few that popped into my head when first given the assignment I hope this is what Yensy wanted.  But the biggest time for us that we just went through was Alan’s unemployment for a year…..who would have ever thought?  You get all your education and experience so this sort of thing doesn’t happen and then when you do get laid off, you think it will only be a short time and then you will be o.k……never with how amazing my husband is, his experience, and talent did we think that we would have a year of unemployment, but we did.
 
And all through that year, even though we did get discouraged at moments, we could not deny the great blessings Heavenly Father poured out on us so that we were able to make it without having to ask family or the church for any help.  A huge blessing!  One that I will never forget.  One that because we had followed the counsel of the prophets about not being in debt, made it possible.  One that when things broke down, there was someone who could help us, or some other amazing blessing happened and we could take care of it.  Or someone was prompted to help us  and they listened to that prompting and helped us without us having to ask.
 
During this year of Alan’s unemployment our Anne Marie had the nursing program pre-req’s change at her hospital that she works at so that she could get in sooner and will be applying in the spring.   Allison and John graduated from BYU and John got a Graduate Assistant’s job (masters program) in Tyler, Texas so that they are closer again.  But really the getting the masters program was a great blessing as well, because with the economy the way it is, they are fewer and harder to get as jobs are we found out.  We are expecting our first grandchild something we have waited a long time to get to experience.  Really it was a fabulous year and then the miracle of how Alan got his job…..really such amazing blessing.
 
Throughout my life, heavenly father and my savior have been merciful and loving and by us through every trial that has come our way and our testimony has only been strengthened as we have watched the miracles unfold in our life that is living proof that we our Children of a Heavenly Father who loves us and is there for us at all times.  I’m grateful that in the moments of self doubt and struggle I can pray to and pour my heart out to my Heavenly Father, and my Savior and know that they are listening and there for me.
 
In the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.

No comments: