Thursday, November 8, 2012

No Empty Chairs Please......

Many of you may remember the talk by President Eyring when he told about the sister that when she passed away wanted written on her headstone "No Empty Chairs Please" meaning in this life that all the seats in the temple would be filled with her family and that none of the chairs would be empty with missing family members who should be there but aren't.  And that in the next life, that there would be no empty chairs in the celestial kingdom.

In 2009 my daughter Allison was married in the Salt Lake Temple, the same temple that Alan and I were married in and that my parents were sealed in.   That particular Saturday, Salt Lake City decided to shut down 3 of the 4 lanes of traffic (truly only 1 lane was open) from Orem to Salt Lake City, and you were in the middle of the traffic jam before you could know you were in trouble.  And it would take 2 hrs just to get to the next exit to try and get off and come up State Street to get to the temple, some were able to get contacted by cell phone before they got stuck and could get off quickly, but others, like my parents, John's mother (Mother of the groom) and many other family members were stuck and quite literally freaking out that they were not going to get to the temple in time to witness the sealing~

Alan and I were very concerned and of course the person performing the sealing said that we would have to start, it was too busy of a Saturday to wait any longer (114 brides that day)....  Alan and I looked at each other and in our minds we both said, "We are not going to let this ruin this important moment in our daughters life."  "We are not going to let this ruin our happiness at this special time."  Now, if you know me at all, I am not a 'roll with punches' kind of girl usually in this type of situation and I'll I can think is that it had to be the Holy Ghost telling me that everything would be alright.

Another part of this story is to realize that this is 3 weeks before my mother passes away!  Another amazing part of this story is that we were not the only family having this issue obviously, there were many brides and grooms and families trying to get to the temple without very much success of being there on time, then you add that it is pouring down rain, its a recipe for disaster.  Because the temple and the workers were very aware of the issues at hand, the Sealer did something I have never seen or heard of before and probably will never see or hear of again.....he told the temple workers at the door and in the waiting area...."When anyone comes for the Brown/Rex sealing, just open the doors and let them in."

So he starts talking to the family members who are present and the bride and groom and starts the sealing and as people get there the doors magically open and family members and people we love walk in quickly and take their seat.  He then picks up right where he left off and then the doors open and more family members walk quickly and quietly in and take their chairs..... and the sealer continues on without missing a beat.....and as I am experiencing this utter and complete joy as each family member comes in and takes their chair/seat, I think to myself, this is how it is going to be in the celestial kingdom as each family member comes through the veil and the profound joy we will feel of all of us being together again as eternal families and the hope that none will be missing.

So, its getting down to the end of the ceremony and all the chairs are filled, except my parents, Allison's grandparents.  And for just a moment, I cry inside and think "Oh, they aren't going to make it"....when all of a sudden the doors open and in comes my mother in her wheelchair being pushed by my Dad...... in that moment I cry softly, "You made it!"  Heavenly Father answered our prayers and there were no empty chairs.....and my parents were able to witness the sealing.

After the ceremony, everyone said what a spiritual experience this sealing was and that opening the doors and letting people in did not detract one bit from the spirit.  And I know why, it's because there were no longer empty chairs.....

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I will never forget being stuck on I80 that day trying to make it to the temple!!