Thursday, June 27, 2013

Missionary Farewell - Monica Tillman

Sunday, we had a missionary speak before leaving to serve a mission for the church in Brazil!!  Bishop Tillman and his family moved in October of 2012, which was a really sad time for our Ward and for Alan in particular because he is such good friends with and admires Ben Tillman so much, but luckily, since she grew up in our Ward (her family moved while she was away at BYU) she did speak in our Ward!

It really was an amazing talk.  I mean she has always been very spiritual and mature (with 6 younger siblings that kind of comes with the territory, the mature part anyway) but wow, oh wow, was her talk amazing.  She has become even more intuned with the spirit and gifted mature speaker in the couple of years that she has been away at school!  It was very plain to everyone, that she is more than prepared to take on this great service she is about to partake in!

It was a little emotional for me (yes, I did cry) as I listened to her speak and for her to be so impressive, and I will tell you why.....

My mother who passed away 4 yrs ago, several months before she passed away, she looked at me one Sunday in church and said as we were sitting near Monica Tillman, "What do you think of Monica?"  to which I said, "I think she is an amazing young woman, who helps her mother with her younger siblings and is making right choices in her life, and is a very spiritual young lady."  My mother smiled and nodded her head in agreement and she said...."That's how I have always felt about you...."

I too, had several younger siblings that I had to help with when I was a teenager, and even though I always made correct choices, because I was kind of outspoken not all my church leaders, I think, thought I was very spiritual, but I was, and my mother knew it and to find out that she always thought of me like a "Monica Tillman" was a wonderful compliment from my mother, who would always brag about me to others....but not to me!!  This was one of the times that she bragged to me!  So it was a tender memory for me and made me think of my mom and miss her very much as I listened to this incredible young woman speak in Sacrament meeting.

She will be amazing missionary!  God Be With You as you go forward in this great service to the Lord....


1 comment: