Saturday, March 31, 2012

Not surprising.....

It is not surprising to me that many of my answers to prayers comes through music. Music has always been such a big part of my life and my families life, that it makes sense to me that often times that is the way the Holy Ghost works with me!! As I mentioned in an earlier post, I have taken on the challenge that the Bishop gave our ward/congregation this last Sunday in Fast & Testimony meeting! He said that if we would write down specific worries, concerns, and/or challenges that we are facing at this time and that if we watch General Conference having prayed and read the scriptures we would find answers to our challenges. And when I told him I was going to do this with a list of 10 things -- he added for me.......that maybe I should add a number 11 - to have the courage to do what the answers are!! He told me this because he and I both know that I know what the answers are, but I'm sticking my head in the sand and hoping that the Bishop or the General Authorities are going to tell me something different or new.....then we both laughed because we knew this is never going to happen!! I just need to have the courage to do what needs to be done!!

So as I have watched the first of 4 sessions of General Conference it was not surprising that my strongest impressions came during the hymns/songs. Not that I didn't take lots of notes and get some surprising impressions of things that I needed to do.....I wrote them down whenever I got an impression from the Holy Ghost....

It touched me deeper than before when President Monson said that Heaven has directed the speakers of what they are to speak to us. I felt that personally.

As I was watching the woman doing the sign language for the hymn "You Can Make the Pathway Bright" and the expressions on her face, and the way she nodded in agreement that you "turn darkness into day as the shadows fly away....and your cares will all depart.... If there's sunshine in your heart today". I believed it in a way I never have before. And the Holy Ghost bore witness to me that my cares could go away, if I had sunshine once again in my heart.....because I will say that over the last month I have been more negative than positive and I don't like the negative Lois.......she is no fun to be around, and I'm sure my Savior and Heavenly Father feel that the negative Lois, does not focus on the many wonderful blessings that she receives daily!! And I do mean daily!! The Positive Lois is ready to come out from hiding again!! I would hate to ever appear ungrateful to my Savior and Heavenly Father!!

Then when the Choir sang - "Love is Spoken Here" that always gets to me....but more so with the questions/concerns/and challenges that I am going through right now....the answer came to me my family needs to see me kneeling more in prayer. I started crying and feeling the spirit tell me this as the choir sang the first line....."I see my mother kneeling with her family each day"!! Now, I pray, and my family knows I Pray, but one thing that I do need to get back to doing better....is praying with Alan and Aileen...so that they see me, and know that I do believe that prayers are answered and that I do have an enduring faith -- that we will get through these challenges and trails and great blessing await us.

"How firm a foundation" is always a great hymn and happens to be my husbands favorite...but I loved hearing the promise more today than any other day....that "Fear not, I am with thee, oh be not afraid, for I am thy God and will STILL give thee aid." "I'll strengthen thee, help thee, and cause thee to stand" How beautiful for me to remember that even if I have stumbled a little and wondered why this is taking so long for us to get over......HE STILL GIVES ME AID!!!

I also really loved Pres. Eyring's comment that God just wants us to be polished a little more. I know I could use some more polishing!

Then the closing hymn "Redeemer of Israel" two things happened, the line "The tokens already appear" Yes, Temple attendance, covenants made in the temple, and families can be together forever all came to me from this line......and then the person I was sitting next to me said....."I did not know your mother very well, but my mother did and she loved her and thought the world of her, and if you are even half of what she is.....well, that's really saying something isn't it!!" And I felt my mother's spirit with me at that moment and her love surrounded me and I knew that all was going to be o.k.......the veil was very thin for her and me today and I haven't felt that for awhile and I am so profoundly grateful to the Holy Ghost and my Heavenly Father, The Bishop, and my friend for helping that to happen for me today!!

And this was only the first session!! I really do pray for the courage to move forward and do all the answers (that I already know, yes, I do already know the answers but what a beautiful way to get confirmation that you are moving in the right direction) that I get today and tomorrow!!

No comments: