Monday, February 11, 2013

Sunday in Gospel Doctrine

Sunday was our Ward Conference and it was an awesome day with great and uplifting talks and meetings.  For my Gospel Doctrine Sunday School class I was trying to come up with a great attention getter to start my class with.  The lesson was on receiving personal revelation.  It had a lot of scriptures and quotes to go over and I was trying to come up with a good way to introduce it all when I received the prompting to play Hangman at the start of class.  I told Alan what my prompting had been and he said...."I don't know if playing hangman is a good idea for Gospel Doctrine and adults" to which I said "Hey, do not put down my prompting from the Holy Ghost" to which he agreed that I should do what I felt like I had been inspired to do.  The more I thought about it the more I liked it especially when I figured out what the sentence would be....

REVELATION CAN COME IN MANY WAYS

And everyone did smile as we started playing it, because I'm sure they hadn't done this since they were youth.

And I did get a starting of a man hanging before someone solved the puzzle.

And then I told them the reason we had done this was that I can not tell you how many times I have heard people tell me that they must not be in tune to the spirit because they do not receive answers to their prayers or personal revelation because they never get a burning in the bosom!

I said I always feel like telling that person 'that's bull' but I don't....they just haven't learned to recognize how the promptings or answers are coming.

I told everyone that I think we sometimes get "hung-up" because the inspiration, answer, or revelation doesn't come to us in the manner that we think it should....

And throughout the lesson I would use the sentence "don't get hung up" and then pointed to our little man hanging

And loved the conclusion that the lesson manual gave that "it is our privilege and responsibility to become fluent in the language of the spirit." 

We have to work at it, be open to it, and willing then to do what we have been prompted to do!!  And we can't get hung up on thinking that inspiration only comes one way!!

It was a good teaching experience!

No comments: