Saturday, May 18, 2013

Ahhhh, The Symphony!

My friend Carol Malone, invited me to attend the Ft. Worth Symphony with her Friday night!  I was so excited!  They are celebrating 100 yrs!  And as this was the last concert for the season, they wanted to go out with a bang and boy did they!!

It was an amazing night and they performed a new original piece written just for the Ft. Worth Symphony for their centennial season and used may different instruments that are known only in Peru, where the composer was born.  The piece "Peru Negro" by Jimmy Lopez was really amazing and went through 6 different sections in one continuous movement - Cry I; The Bull Kills; Incan Origin; I told Papa; Cry II; Dance of the Devils.  The composer was there and he said that "this piece stems from a personal desire to assimilate Peruvian folk music to the point of blending it seamlessly with his own language."  and then we were told to be the judge!

Then they performed "Carmina Burana" by Carl Orff and they had a huge Choir, Boys Choir, and Soprano soloist; Baritone Soloist; and a Tenor Soloist. It was incredible!!  The Soprano was beautiful and I loved listening to her float the notes so high and so without effort!  Oh, it was breathtaking!

Carol has invited me before to go with her and it really always is a treat and there where two other times that Carol and her husband were going to be out of town so they gave us there tickets....Once was on my parents Anniversary so we gave the tickets to them so my Mom and Dad could go, knowing that Mom would love that.  And the other time was when they did the piece that was written about all the planets and they had a slide show from NASA that showed all the planets while the different sections where played!  Alan really loved that.  So we have been so blessed by their generous sharing hearts and I truly do appreciated her thinking of me!

A fun side note about this is, because I am now in better shape and losing weight, I could walk up all 7 flights of stairs and not even breath hard, and when I sat down I slid right into the seat with plenty of room between my hips and the arms of the chairs....and in Bass Hall they are small chairs compared to other places such as movie theatres and such.....so it was a huge VICTORY!!  yay me!

During the encore the Conductor said that we could take pictures......so I couldn't resist!  Bass hall is beautiful and always a joy to go there!

No comments: