Thursday, May 16, 2013

Awesome Sunday!

Sunday was a fun day.....It was Mother's day....but that was the least of the things going on that day!  Sunday morning I was assigned to speak in Sacrament meeting at Church, then I had my Gospel Doctrine class to teach, then we immediately headed back to Plano, TX for Tytan's Confirmation in his Sacrament meeting!

Tytan is officially a Member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints!  And now had the Holy Ghost to be with him always!  It was exciting for us all to be together again, and Tootie and her girls came on Sunday to be apart of the Celebration.  They really wanted to be to the Baptism too, but had other commitments they couldn't get out of so it was great to have them there Sunday.


Cousins!!
 
The fun thing about going to 2 Sacrament meetings on Mother's Day, beside the obvious, is we got two Mother's day treats....the Plano Ward gave out Huge Candy Bars!!  It was kinda fun!

For Mother's Day Alan got me the new "Jack Reacher" DVD that just came out and you know I loved that movie and all his books!!  Aileen made me a beautiful card!  Anne Marie went to Church for all 3 hrs for my mother's day gift, which I loved that gift, and I think her gift includes continuing to do so!!!  Allison and John called me, and I got to hold Charlotte when they got back from Seattle that night, plus they gave me my walking shoes for Easter/Mother's day!  My Dad gave me the book by M. Russell Ballard, "One Drop at a Time".  And amazingly enough, my Visiting Teachers gave Aileen and I Roses!  So I had a great day!  Even though it was busy!  And not really about relaxing and pampering me....it was AWESOME!!!

 

 

And if you don't want to be board by reading my mother's day talk.....stop here.  But for Elizabeth my sister, I hope she will read on so she can read the tribute I made to her, for being an exceptional Mother!!  Love you Sis!


Mother’s Day Talk
May 12, 2013
Sacrament Meeting

 I am a “Grand” mother.  A title which I proudly wear.  A title that has given me more happiness then I even thought possible.

Anyone who knows me at all, or is my friend on FaceBook, knows that since my granddaughter, Charlotte’s birth, I have been on a mission to lose weight.   This goal is important to me so that I will be around for all the big events in Charlotte’s life i.e. Baptism, Graduation, Wedding etc…

And a big part of this goal is walking every day.  If you would have asked me 4 months ago to go walking I would have told you, and probably did tell people, that they were crazy, walking is the last thing I would have wanted to do, because I hate walking.

When I first started walking it was a chore!  It was something I just tried to get through as quickly as possible.  There was no enjoying the weather, or nature or the beauty around me…..it was just hurry and get this done so I could move on to other things.

Then I realized I was missing out on something really important, that I needed to find the joy in my walks, to see the beauty of God’s creations, that I needed to create deeper bonds of love and friendship with my friends who were walking with me.

And as I was preparing this talk I realized that this was kind of how my early experience with being a mother was too.  That when I first started out, it was many days overwhelming, that sometimes I may have treated it more like it was a chore that I just needed to hurry and get through, and felt like when my family gets to this stage or that stage….then I can enjoy this or that…and I definitely did not always take time to enjoy the beauty and joy that comes from being a mother.

As with my walking, thank heavens, I did finally realize that I needed to enjoy the here and now, that I needed to notice the sweet things about motherhood.

One of the best ways for me to do this was to try and make our home a Christ-Centered home.

Now obviously there have been times throughout our 35 yrs of marriage, that we have been better at accomplishing these traditions than others, but the desire and the commitment was always there to try and do the best we could with:

Holding Family Home Evenings
Family Scripture Study
Daily Prayer
Saying often the words I love you

Quote:  Elder Enrique R. Falabella in this last General Conference said: (Read from Ensign/May 2013 Ensign)
The words “I love you,” “Thank you very much,” and “Forgive me” are like a balm for the soul. They transform tears into happiness. They provide comfort to the weighed-down soul, and they confirm the tender feelings of our heart. Just as plants wither with the lack of precious water, our love languishes and dies as we put to rest the words and acts of love.

Elder Bednar said that he hoped that in our Testimonies on Fast Sunday was not the only time that our families heard us say that we loved them.

At various times throughout the years I have walked through my home to see and feel what a guest would feel when they come into my home. 

The most recent time was after a General Conference session where a Sister in the General Primary Presidency told about how her daughter wanted to spend time at the home of a family that she did not know….and as she went to the front door of this home to meet the parents and the front door was opened there in the front hallway was a beautiful picture of the Savior… and therefore she knew what was important to their family.

But more importantly I realized that I needed to see and feel what my home represents for my Children, not guests, but for the people who live there everyday so that they can feel peace.  So that they can feel there home is a safe haven from the world.

QUOTE:  Elder Richard G. Scott from this last General Conference (May 2013 Ensign) said: (Read from Ensign)
Some homes have a father who is a worthy priesthood holder joined by a faithful, devoted mother who together lead in righteousness. Many homes have a different configuration. Regardless of your circumstances, you can center your home and your life on the Lord Jesus Christ, for He is the source of true peace in this life.
Be certain that every decision you make, whether temporal or spiritual, is conditioned on what the Savior would have you do. When He is the center of your home, there is peace and serenity. There is a spirit of assurance that pervades the home, and it is felt by all who dwell there.
 
In my own extended family we have different configurations of home.  My Sister Elizabeth is an amazing mother and she has no children and can’t have any children.  But what a blessing she has been in the lives of every one of her nieces and nephews.  But, especially to my youngest brother George’s family.  My brother is a single father of 2 teenage boys and because of work has to travel quite a bit.  Now Elizabeth lives in Rowlet and my brother lives in Plano, but when my brother is out of town, she helps his boys do their homework, she fixes them dinner, and about a year ago she decided that if the only way these boys were going to get to church was if she took them then that was what she was going to do.  Every Sunday she attends the boys Ward in Plano, and then she goes and attends her own meetings in Rowlett.  Because she has done this and has been the mother figure in their life, my 18 yr old nephew has been re-activated, and my 11 yr old nephew took the missionary discussions and was Baptized yesterday – it was a beautiful day.  Where would these boys be and what would they be doing if Elizabeth wouldn’t have seen a need for a mother, and stepped in and filled it.

I know that Elizabeth is this kind of a loving, and giving person because of the example of our Mother.

Our mother was an amazing woman and example of how to have a Christ-Centered home.
 

1.                 She taught us the 5 minute rule – you get over whatever mad or hurt you have in 5 minutes….then it over, and done.  I remember when Allison and John were first together and Allison was frustrated about something I heard her tell John, “Don’t worry, in 5 minutes, I’ll be over it”.

2.                 She was an example in obedience – When Pres. Hinckley asked everyone to read the book of Mormon by the end of the year, every night at the dinner table I saw my Mom and Dad reading their scriptures, reminding us without words that needed to obey the Prophet.

3.                 She performed many acts of quiet service – without fanfare or recognition.  She just took care of it.

4.                 She attended the temple often and always placed her children’s names and their spouses and her grandchildren’s names on the prayer rolls.  And I felt it!

5.                 Even after all of us were married, whoever lived close by and sometimes we all have lived in the same City, we had FHE together.

6.                 And Every Sunday whether she had just had major surgery or whether it was just a normal week, you always knew where you would find her; you would find her in Sacrament meeting attending her church meetings.

 
Elder Richard J. Maynes, in April 2011 General Conference said:  (Read talk from Ensign May 2011)
Learning, teaching, and practicing the principles of the gospel of Jesus Christ in our homes helps create a culture where the Spirit can dwell. Through establishing these celestial traditions in our homes, we will be able to overcome the false traditions of the world and learn to put the needs and concerns of others first.

He also said:

Being offspring of a loving Heavenly Father is central to the Great Plan of Happiness.

 In D&C 130:2
“And that same sociality which exists among us here will exist among us there, only it will be coupled with eternal glory”

What a beautiful reminder that our earthly families can be eternal families.

In closing I would like to pay tribute to the other mother’s in my life.

My Mother-in-law is an amazing mother and grandmother/great grandmother.  I thank her for her making a Christ-centered home and being a good example to her family and for raising the incredible husband and father that I am lucky and blessed to have in my life.

My Step Mother, Barbara, who has been such a blessing to our family with her love and compassion and who our Heavenly Father has blessed us with at this time in our life so that we do not have to go through life motherless and grandmother-less.

To my daughter Allison, who is having her first Mother’s day.  It is so amazing to watch her carry on the traditions or our family and John’s family of having a Christ-centered home and trying to be the best mother she can be.  She is an amazing woman and I have been blessed to be apart of her life.

I say these things in the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.

No comments: