Saturday, May 11, 2013

Tytan's Baptism

Holding his new Scriptures
we all gave him!
Today was my nephew Tytan's Baptism!  It was such an exciting and special day!  My mother dreamed of the day that she could go to Tytan's Baptism and I know that she was present with us today, even though she is not still on earth!

My sister Elizabeth, is an extraordinary Aunt, and I honor her on this Mother's Day because if it was not for her and her helping my brother George, who is a single father, my nephews would not be active in Church and Tytan would not be getting Baptized!  She decided that if the only way they were going to get to Church was if she went and picked them up and took them, then that was what she was going to do.  She lives and Rowlet and they live in Plano!  So every week she drives to Plano, goes to church with my nephews, then goes back to her home and goes to her ward.  Last year they were at different times so she was able to go to both wards all 3 hrs....but this year they meet at the same time, so Elizabeth misses her Sacrament meeting and then hurries back to her ward to attend Relief Society as she is in the RS Presidency!  But it was because of her being willing to do this that Logan started attending Church again, and then Tytan started going along and the lo and behold he started taking the missionary discussions.....and I'll never forget his excitement in telling all of us that he was getting baptized!

It was a special day.  Grandma Barbara gave a talk on Baptism, Aunt Lois' talk was on the Holy Ghost, Aunt Elizabeth sang, "If the Savior Stood Beside Me", Grandpa Baptized him, Uncle Alan and Logan said the prayers!  And George, his Dad, came to witness the wonderful event!



 
 After Tytan wanted to go to TGI Friday's to Celebrate!!

 
His last wish for the day was for us to play Canasta!  So we did!  Usually Tytan and I smoak everyone.....but tonight, Alan's curse was broken and Logan and Alan beat us!!  Oh, well, it was still a great time!

I knew that I wanted to tie in Tytan's love of Basketball with the Holy Ghost, so I texted my son-in-law John and asked him what was a metaphor of the Holy Ghost and Basketball.  He texted back "the coach telling you from the sideline what to do".  So I went with it.  And I will say he really did pay attention to my talk, I think I scored!!


Tytan Clay’s Baptism
May 11, 2013
The Holy Ghost

 


I want you to know that right now your Grandma Clay is very pleased with your decision you have made to be Baptized.  It’s something she dreamed of attending in this life and I know that she is here with us today on your special day!!  We are all so happy and proud of you but I know that Grandma in particular is so proud of you!

 3 Nephi 19:13

And it came to pass when they were all baptized and had come up out of the water, the Holy Ghost did fall upon them, and they were filled with the Holy Ghost and with fire.

 Tomorrow we will all be with you in Sacrament meeting when you will be given the Holy Ghost.

 It is a Gift from our Savior and Heavenly Father.

 And just like the gift that your family is going to give you today it is given with much love!

 
It is also given to help give you directions

It is given to help protect you

And it is given to help you receive answers to your prayers.

 
You are an awesome Basketball Player!  When you are on the court you are so focused - just like in this picture – you keep your eye on the Goal – all the while dribbling and moving around the court – and during this time of focus of making a basket – the crowd is yelling “Go Tytan”, your teammates are yelling “I’m open”, “pass it to me” but when the coach gets up and yells something from the sidelines you hear that don’t you?  Above everyone else – you might even look over to acknowledge and see him give some kind of hand signal…….and then what do you do?   You run the play and then as always you make the Basket!!!

 And the crowd goes crazy cheering and yelling (can you hear it) “Yay! Tytan!”, and if John’s in the audience he would yell “You’ve just been Clay’d”

 How did you learn to hear the coach’s voice and recognize the signals?

 PRACTICE!!!

 So just like in Basketball we have to “Practice” hearing/feeling the Holy Ghost.

 Sometimes the Holy Ghost signals us with:

 A feeling – (a warm feeling that yes this is what I should do or even a bad feeling or a feeling that makes me feel like I don’t know if I should….and if you have a doubt the answer is always don’t do it!!!)

Or a little voice might pop into our head - (Might literaly say "Tytan Stop!")
 
Or a thought might all of a sudden come to us – (Maybe I should call someone to come get me or maybe I should help my brother)

 These are the signals that we have to practice listening to.

 Then we have to have the Focus, just like in Basketball, the focus or the courage to “run the play” or do what the Holy Ghost has signaled/prompted us to do so that in the end we can make the Basket….

 And in this life making the basket is to return to live with our Heavenly Father and Savior Jesus Christ and to be with our family forever!


22 The aFather has a bbody of flesh and bones as tangible as man’s; the Son also; but the Holy Ghost has not a body of flesh and bones, but is a personage of cSpirit. Were it not so, the Holy Ghost could not ddwell in us.

 
The Holy Ghost is a member of the Godhead.  He is a God just like Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ and we always hear about how much our Heavenly Father and our Savior loves us and wants us to be happy.  Well, so does the Holy Ghost.  The Holy Ghost loves us and wants us to be happy!  That is why he wants to be with us and help guide us so that we will make the biggest baskets of all baskets and live with our Heavenly Father again.

I say these things in the Name of Jesus Christ, Amen.

No comments: