Sunday, July 21, 2013

Canning....I've almost forgotten how!

Wednesday night Allison and I canned peach freezer jam!  Allison has never done any canning and I had not done any since I left Utah many years ago.  Every year late Summer and Fall my mother-in-law and I use to can and when I say can, I mean canning everything.  We did peaches, pears, peach jam, pickles, salsa, chili sauce, applesauce, apple slices, grape juice, raspberry freezer jam, strawberry jam, we even did corn one year.....anyway, Allison was a little girl then, so of course was not a part of that process, and she got very excited about the prospect of canning jam.  So I went to the store and got bottles, and pectin and called my mother-in-law to make sure I remembered how to do it (ha-ha) and we spent Wednesday evening after Charlotte went to bed canning peach freezer jam.  It was fun, especially fun to see how excited Allison was and that she felt so domestic!!  It was special for me because it brought back mother/daughter memories of me doing this with Mom Brown, of watching my mother and grandmother do it growing up, and now getting to do it with my daughter.  It was a special night and good memories!

No comments: