Sunday, July 7, 2013

Random Acts of kindness (RAK) as a birthday present!

I shared this with my husband and he was so impressed with someone thinking that this is the best way to celebrate their birthday that I realized I really needed to post in my blog about it too, because it really is about the most unselfish way I have every heard of celebrating some one's birthday!  Two wonderful woman in our Ward/Church have the same birthday, July 5, 2013!  They are both such amazing women that of course everyone wants to celebrate with them, give gifts, etc....  This year they requested that anyone who wanted to celebrate their birthday with them to please do "Random Acts of Kindness" (RAK) this day and then share what they did on a RAK page on FaceBook!  Kirsten Murphy and Mary Staley (The birthday girls) spent all day doing RAK's!  They moved people trash cans from the curb to up by there home, they took back all the shopping carts in the parking lot at the supermarket, they wrote with sidewalk chalk, "Happy" messages in the parking stalls and watched people read them as they came to get back in their cars....they left money on the soda/candy machines with a note saying it's our birthday have a treat on us....at the Hospital, they took Milky way candy bars to the librarians saying "We like the 'Way' you...." and the Librarians said, "you mean people like us?"  Oh, that just about melted my heart!  They took cookies to the Firemen and police officers, they took cold bottled water to a nurses station on one of the floors at the hospital, they gave a donation to the Human Society, they left notes of encouragement and happiness at the grocery store on items of food.... and on and on we go......

I heard more than one person say, "I never thought of this being a way to celebrate my birthday, but how neat is that", or something along those lines....

So, to honor these girls that I consider to be my friends and women that I would like to be like some day.....

I randomly texted friends from my contact list on my cell phone and told them how much I appreciated them.

I paid for a friends dinner, and when she said, "no, you don't need to do that..." I replied "It's random acts to kindness day" to which she said, "Oh, o.k."!!

I helped make a photo booth for a wedding reception for the daughter of another friend.

I took the garbage can in from the curb, so my husband did not have to do that when he came home from work as that is usually his job!  So, it really was a RAK!

And even though what I did was hardly anything compared to all the wonderful things you did.....Thanks ladies for being a great example of how to celebrate a birthday....by giving, not by receiving!





No comments: