Friday, February 13, 2009

A very neat moment!

So I got the neatest surprise...

one of my seminary students from the 1st year that I taught back in Wichita, Kansas found me on Facebook...

I was very excited to find out how she was and she posted this comment on my wall....

"I am doing well. I have been thinking about you often. I have been thinking of what a great seminary teacher you were and how that helped me develop spiritually. I served a mission in the Provo Utah mission. I am married with a little girl, Emma. I am also a seminary teacher. It is a struggle. How did you do it? I want to know your secret. I know, follow the spirit, but these are teenagers. It is such a challenge. How is the family?"

Well, I can't even express how that made me feel to know that she served a mission is active in church, raising a family and is now teaching seminary herself! It's such a great Valentine's present I can't even express it!

I'll tell you what I told her was my secret....

1. I love(d) each student. And it wasn't even hard. It's like how you feel when you see your baby for the 1st time...its so huge you can't stand it. And I know that my students new it was true as well (some it took longer for them to know, but they knew) They new I was their biggest fan and I still am. I know some have moved on and probably never think of me...but I still celebrate their successes and accomplishments as if I was still seeing them every morning before they went to face their day at school!

2. I prayed for each one of them individually, by name, every day in my prayers. I had pictures of each student on my mirror and as I would pray I would look at their picture and ask "Heavenly Father, How can I help David today", "Heavenly Father, please help me to know how to help Kelli today", etc....until I had prayed for every student. There were some years I had 27 students in my class. But I know it made all the difference.

I have put a picture of my student, who is now the teacher! I know she is doing an amazing job and will be able to give me pointers the next time I have this calling (I can only pray I will get the chance to do seminary again).

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I have to admit that everytime I read something from the Old Testament, or everytime something is read in church from the Old Testament, I can just hear your sweet voice behind it! I loved seminary and, have to say, you were the best out of all the different teachers I had!

Lois Brown said...

Thank you Hillary! I love you very much and loved teaching you, more than you will ever know!

Kim said...

Such a cool story...thanks for sharing.

Ashlee said...

That is neat! And you were a FABULOUS teacher! I hope I get to teach some day! I enjoy reading your blog! Sorry I don't comment more often! I will try better! Thanks for your comments!

Lois Brown said...

AShlee, I think you would be an amazing seminary teacher as well. I hope you get the chance someday too!

~Rachel said...

How neat! It seems that the blessings you reap from having that calling follow you long after you are done with the calling. What a beautiful update from your student.